11.16.2007

Without description...


I look at our pictures a lot from Honduras. I think I've found I go through the same process each time I return from a trip. The day after I return, everything seems fine, like I was simply at my parent's house for the weekend. After a day of taking it easy, I start to think about my next day when I am forced to resurface. In an ironic twist, for all the people that I missed while I was away, I don't really want to talk to anyone. So, despite the many requests from friends and family, I rarely answer my phone and don't ever listen to the messages that pile up in my voicemail inbox.
This continues for a couple of days. Inevitably I'll force myself to answer a call or two and stumble over my words as I try to describe whatever I witnessed or experienced. This does help the process as painstaking as it can be, and for those of you out there that are my experimental listeners, I'm sorry I don't really feel like sharing much and my stories are incomplete and inadequate.

So back to the pictures, I look at them a lot. After a few days they finally fit in the context of my life here in Lincoln. The one I posted above didn't really stick out to me at first. At this moment, it is definitely one of my favorites. What I like about it is the peace of mind that is all over this young girl's face. Also, this picture really needs no description. "It is what it is" and if I would have not have taken it, I still would understand it. Right now, it helps. And if I know myself as well as I think I do, in a few days I'll be fine, and I'll be able to put words to many of my experiences, and I promise I'll want to share them all. Then hopefully, we'll go somewhere else and I'll be able to go through this fortunate struggle all over again.

Ben

No comments: